Paris is an incredibly expensive city and being one of Europe’s fashion capitals and surely one of its most iconic cities; that was always going to be expected. I would not let that discourage any backpacker from visiting here though as Paris does have excellent amenities for anyone looking to see this city on a budget. Here is my best tips for bedgeting Paris;
- Paris Museum Pass – It offers free and discounted admission to museums and monuments around the city, and it lets you skip the ticket lines! Prices: €42 EUR (two days), €56 EUR (four days), €69 EUR (six days). It pays for itself after a few attractions
- Paris’ Bikes – Over 20,000 bikes at 1,800 stations located throughout the city. You join by purchasing a one-day pass for €1.70 EUR or a one-week pass for €8 EUR
- Buy a 10-pack of Metro/Bus Tickets -Bus and metro tickets cost €1.70 EUR each. However, you can purchase a ‘carnet’ which is a pack of 10 tickets, costs €13.70 EUR
- Sightsee – Paris is one of the most beautiful capitals in the world and defines European architecture. Take a look at the sights such as; Eiffel tower or Notre-Dame and soak in the cobble stone streets
- Set Lunch Menu – If you eat out, do so at lunch and get the prix fixe menu (two- or three-course set menu). Restaurants throughout town offer this set menu during lunch, and with prices between €10 EUR and €20 EUR
- Free Museums on the First Sunday of Each Month – If you happen to find yourself in Paris on the first Sunday of the month between October and March, most of the city’s major museums offer free admission. During the other months, admission is free for those under 26 and in the EU. The Louvre is free on Friday nights for everyone. This is no secret unfortunately so expect huge queues
- Free Summer Festivals – During the summer, you can find free entertainment almost any night of the week, such as the Paris Jazz Festival and outdoor film screenings like Cinéma en Plein Air.